Saturday, September 24, 2011

Expired Yogurt = Dessert? Trust Me.

I have good intentions about eating healthy. I swear. I just have this terrible compulsion to buy 8,000 containers of yogurt at a time. (I'm exaggerating. It's more like 8-12.) Anyway, when I buy it, I'm in a "yogurt mood" and convince myself I will surely eat them all before the expiration date. Yeah. Not so much.

Feeling guilty after spending $100 at the grocery store, I decided to clean out the fridge and came across four containers of expired yogurt. I opened one - it smelled like yogurt. Tasted it - definitely tasted like yogurt, so I figured I'd use it up. I also had some milk expiring today. Since I am also afflicted with a compulsion to eat ice cream every day if I have it around, I figured I could make almost-fat-free frozen yogurt. (Let's just ignore the fact that I bought a container of vanilla ice cream and a package of Drumstick cones on said grocery trip...)

Quantities given are rough estimates, given my aversion to washing dishes - one large measuring cup, a spatula, and the ice cream maker are more than enough dishes for me!


Strawberry Frozen Yogurt

- 4 6-oz containers fat-free or low fat yogurt
(I used one each of Dannon Light&Fit in Strawberry, Strawberry Cheesecake, and Pineapple Coconut, and one plain Greek yogurt.)
- 1/4 c strawberry preserves
- 1/4 c simple syrup or corn syrup
- skim milk

Whisk the preserves and syrup together in a 4 cup glass measuring cup, and add yogurt, whisking after each container to help break up the preserves. Whisk in enough skim milk to make one quart. Pour into your ice cream maker, and freeze according to the directions. (I used my Cuisinart - I swear it was 15 minutes and it was done.) Pack into a container and freeze.

It's soooo yummy - sweet enough to feel like dessert, but tangy enough to eat as a snack and justify that it still counts as yogurt. Plus the only fat was from the 6 oz of Greek yogurt - you could definitely substitute fat-free yogurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment